My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC/New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hawaii and movies: the pineapple principle

As I walked from the ship to Waikiki so I could get to a bus that would get me to Hanauma Bay, I didn’t have much expectations that may have derived from the movies seen in class. In part, I think this had to do with the fact that I already knew in a pretty detailed way what I wanted to do in Hawaii, so my expectations were more or less set. I imagined the posh high buildings and the aquamarine beaches that I did found there. It was pretty much my conception of Hawaii, a very smiley beach paradise. Yet, late in the night when I was about to leave, there were two events which more or less relate to the movies seen in class. The first one is an expectation that I had reinforced while seeing Blue Hawaii (with Elvis Presley), even when I didn’t realized it while seeing it; this had to do with the association of Hawaii and pineapples. I say that the expectation was reinforced since I think I actually developed it with yet another “happy go lucky” movie: Johnny Tsunami, from the Disney Channel. In both of them pineapples are the Thing in Hawaii; they are that incredibly great and fresh product that you could eat anywhere, but not really eaten until you get to Hawaii. I hadn’t realized this until I got to an ABC store (they are a plague: think of Walgreens in Porto Rico) to buy some snacks and I said: “Hey, let me buy traditional stuff from Hawaii, you know, continue with the intercultural education intended for this trip” and voila! the dry pineapples are there, colorfully screaming in plastic bags: “Hawaiian pineapple”. However, by some weird impulse I decided to check the back of the bag to see were it actually was produced, since being from Puerto Rico I know that lots of “Porto Rican this or that” is actually made in China, and ja!, the “Hawaiian Pineapples” were not made in Hawaii, nor in China, but in Thailand. So I started looking at all things Hawaiian and found stuff from all around Asia, specially Korea, which made Hawaii feel much more like Porto Rico (that imports practically everything) than I had expected before. I did found some food made in Hawaii, but they were fried pork skins, let me translate this for you: CHICHARRONES!!!!... I almost die laughing, I think I have never bonded so much with a country’s culinary traditions… at least not since eating moros con cristianos in Cuba. Chicharrones. In Hawaii. Let’s just say that I bought two bags and have got the perfect snack for the rest of the trip.

The second experience relating to a movie occurred when I went to pay for my made in Hawaii food and it was the fact that the cashier spoke Japanese to all Asian looking tourists and well, all the time they were, indeed, Japanese. This brought me back to Picture Bride and the Japanese immigrants it showed. Probably without this movie I wouldn’t have expected any kind of Japanese influence in Hawaii. I knew about immigrants going to Hawaii as cheap labor because Porto Ricans were part of the group, but I had no idea about Japanese or Chinese being some of them for that matter, which shows quite a lot of ignorance from my part, since from what I could see their presence is very significant. I found it very interesting that Japanese, who started as a cheap work force, now are all around Hawaii as economically powerful tourists, so much, that lots of signs are in both English and Japanese and cashiers speak Japanese to them, making their lives easier. I don’t know much about the locals dynamics in Hawaii between its diverse population, but its interesting that people who started as poor immigrants having to accommodate to Hawaii, now are the ones for whom Hawaii has to accommodate to.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

diana es daniel q come mierda eres. porque escribes en ingles?

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, ahora si que se me salen las babas de la envidia, pero de la buena........

Tai-chi en el deck por las mañanas con un profesor super inteligente y culto (no dices si es guapo, pero me lo puedo imaginar)......clases super interesantes, y paradas en puertos exoticos, incluyendo a la India....Si supieras que ese es uno de mis sueños, llegar allí, pero en un viaje espiritual.....ni modo.....

Sigue escribiendo, que yo sigo leyendo...

Las clases me parecen fabulosas, por no seguir diciendo interesantes.....

Ya me meti en el portal del "barco"....y, de hecho, se lo pienso recomendar a cuantos jovenes me encuentre por mi camino....Claro, a aquellos jovenes que sean universitarios aun .....

Lamentablemente ni Sebastian ni Lola pueden pues estan en otros momentos de sus vidas, con otras realidades y responsabilidades....pero, ya compartire la informacion con ellos !!!

Y a ver si Daniel se apunta en el futuro....

Como te va con tu "roommate"? Vi que los camarotes son chiquititos....aunque me parece que no es mucho el tiempo que pasan en ellos....

Seguimos....
Un abrazo y muchas bendiciones,
Tante Anita
(eso de Titi no me convence), deja seguir jugando con los nombres, eso si, el de Anita Ole me encanta, pero ya lo cogieron !!!!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Mira Danielo, este issue del ingles se esta poniendo controversial, pero ya lo explique antes asi que mira en los primeros comentarios pa que te enteres, que estas atras. ^_^. De cualquier manera me estas escribiendo en espanol y en espanol te respondo, asi que no es como que me he olvidado del idioma. Ademas ya tengo como a 4 gringos bajo mi custodia a quien les practico su espanol constantemente, asi que mis deudas con el espanol estan mas que pagas. Ok??!!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Motro said...

Ay bendito, ni aunque estes en un barco por hawaii dejan de pelear ustedes dos. Ay Diana, traeme un cantito de volcan y una pina de esas taiwandesas....

12:42 PM  
Blogger Motro said...

Y ahora te dejo, que tengo que inscribirme en blackboard por primera vez desde la high.

tqm,
joey

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preparate para un posible despliegue de patriotismo durante el proximo lunes...

Fly the Flag on September 11, 2006]
Let's do it! !!

Please join us in this FLY THE FLAG campaign and PLEASE forward this email immediately to everyone in your address book asking them to also forward it. We have a little less than one week and counting to get the word out all across this great land and into every community in the United States of America. If you forward this email to least 11 people and each of those people do the same...you get the idea.

THE PROGRAM IS THIS:

On Monday , September 11th, 2006, an American flag should be displayed outside every home, apartment, office, and store in the United States Every individual should make it their duty to display an American flag on this fifth anniversary of our country's worst tragedy. We do this in honor of those who lost their lives on 9/11, their families, friends and loved ones who continue to endure the pain, and those who today are fighting at home and abroad to preserve our cherished freedoms.

In the days, weeks and months following 9/11, our country was bathed in American flags as citizens mourned the incredible losses and stood shoulder-to-shoulder against terrorism. Sadly, those flags have all but disappeared. Our patriotism pulled us through some tough times and it shouldn't take another attack to galvanize us in solidarity. Our American flag is the fabric of our country and together we can prevail over terrorism of all kinds.

Action Plan: So, here's what we need you to do...

(1) Please forward this email to everyone you know. Do not be the one to break this chain of community. Take a moment to think back to how you felt on 9/11 and let those sentiments guide you.

(2) Fly an American flag of any size on 9/11. Honestly, Americans should fly the flag year-round on the appropriate days, but if you don't, then at least make it a priority on this day.

Thank you for your participation. God Bless You and God Bless America!


Anita Ole

4:23 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Oh Dios, eso de fly the flag esta medio increible; por el momento no he oido nada pero a ver..

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dianita!

Nada q tenga q ver con este post en específico pero imagino q es el que más pronto leeras.

Sólo quiero saludarte y mandarte un abrazo repleto de envidia (de la tierna)y las gracias por dejarnos viajar contigo...me encanta como escribes(aunque sea en el controversial idioma jeje)

No te escribo más de momento pq tengo un millón y medio de cosas de esas que tienen la etiqueta de "última hora" y q siempre pensamos que es porque nos las recuerdan demasiado tarde.

Pero pronto te digo más; por ahora, el mismo cariño de siempre y una sonrisa gigante.

QUique

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DIANA:
COMUNICATE.
Acabo de ver lo del Tifón y cambio de itinerario. Confirmame que estás en el barco y cómo estás.
Un abrazo grande,
Mamá

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home